A few highlights:
- I saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time on Tuesday afternoon, as we decended into LA. I was not in a window seat, so I had to crane my neck to look out someone else's window to see a little corner of water like bronze in the light of sunset.
- Later, in the middle of the night, I waked to the back of the plane, just to stretch my legs, and took the time to look through the windows in the rear doors. Looking north, I could see only clouds over a dark ocean, with a single point of light in all that immensity. Looking south, I could see the light of the half moon reflected in the water and in the clouds.
- Our descent into Wellington, at the end of a 1-hour hop from Auckland, was the most exciting part of any of our three flights. There was, as there often is, a strong wind blowing across the south end of the North Island, and the plane was buffeted this way and that is as we came in low over the water, seeming to reach land just in time for a landing smoother than we had any right to expect.
I realize now how much I miss wind, when we're in the doldrums of Atlanta. How often, living there, do we get to use any form of the verb "to scud"?
There's more to come, later. I'll help Dorothea upload some pictures she took from the plane as we flew from Atlanta to LA, and I'll upload a few pictures of the girls at play in the Newer-Than-New World.
Glad you made it safely. Indeed, tedious gets the job done. Looking forward to the pictures.
ReplyDeleteHow was the dealing with jet lag? Did switching your days around here help?
Did all your students make it there safely? How long before class starts?
We miss you already!
Happy to hear that you made it there. And I bet you are glad that you are not leaving this evening or tonight!
ReplyDeleteWe look forward to seeing Dorothea's photos....it is always fun to see photos from kids. I hope the girls will take more photos while you guys are on this trip.